Wednesday, December 01, 2004

BOBBY AAA APPROVED REQUIREMENTS

My website doesn’t meet the Bobby AAA Approved requirements.

The first recommendation is to provide alternative text for all images. Most important, I will have to provide an alternate accessible version.

I was flagged because I used the table feature for the layout of my buttons.

I have to double check how I used color/images in Lines 49, 55, and 58. Bobby recommended that if I used color or images to convey information, that I provide another way to represent the information.

I was also cited for failing to make my website accessible. In this instance, I was flagged for not providing relative sizing and positioning values. I used absolute (pixels). I believe this is when I used images as buttons.

The second accessibility flag was in reference to making link phrases make better sense in case they are read out of context: Lines 49, 55, 58. Bobby recommended that I use style sheets to control my layout and presentation. I think it would also help for uniformity of the web pages.

The third accessibility flag refers to identifying the language of the text. This is crucial, according to Bobby, in helping the computer present the information in the best format appropriate for the language. (http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/gls/g125.html)

Now that I have the core guidelines for cleaning up my website, I certainly have a lot of work in front of me. Thanks Bobby, thanks Richard!!